A pediatrician plays a very important role in the health your child. With his great role, it is no wonder that it’s going to be difficult to choose one. A pediatrician specializes in the mental, behavioral, and physical health of your child. Take note that they don’t only give health care to babies and toddlers. They are also responsible in taking care of adolescents. They are to perform immunizations, physical examinations, look for developments, diagnose illnesses, and even treat them. If you have a child, you will sure maintain a long term relationship to ensure your child’s health. That is why, it is very essential to carefully choose the pediatrician for your child.
– CONVENIENT LOCATION. As you make a list of the good pediatricians, you narrow down your choices by checking the doctor’s location. Since babies need to see their pediatrician several times, like every two to three months, it is good to choose one that is near your house. A doctor who is nearby can help you save time. If you don’t have your own car, then look for an office that is easily accessible by public transportation.
– RECOMMENDED. Fortunately, the decision on who your child’s pediatrician should be doesn’t have to be yours alone. You can ask help from your OB-GYN. She is your friend during your pregnancy which has sure lead to a trusting relationship. In this case, you can ask recommendations from her. You can even get referrals from your family doctor. Your family and friends can also be a good source of information. Just don’t hesitate to ask.
– FIRST CHECK-UP. As you interview different pediatricians, you should ask where the first check up of your child is conducted in the hospital. There are pediatricians who are going to pay a visit to your child after the delivery. But, this happens when they have the affiliation with the hospital. If she is not affiliated, then sge should conduct the check-up in her office few hours after the delivery.
– EXPERIENCE AND CREDENTIALS. Pediatricians have graduated from a medical school, completed a residency program, as well as received state licensing. However, it is very important to take note that not all of them are board certified. This board certification requires additional pediatric training, which is voluntary. Once completed, the doctor takes an examination before becoming certified. A pediatrician with board certification means that the doctor is competent in professionalism, patient care, medical knowledge, and communication skills.
– PRACTICE OPERATION. Another essential factor to consider is their office operation. Of course, you will want to make sure that it is aligned with your specific needs. Check if they cater last minute appointments, has weekend and evening hour services, and if their schedule fits yours.
– INTRODUCTORY VISIT. You need to visit different pediatricians before choosing one. Your initial visit at their office allows you to determine the comfort level you feel with the doctor. This is also the best time to discuss and communicate with the pediatrician. As you talk with the doctor, check how she interacts with your child. You are going to find out if the doctor is genuinely interested with your child.